No on the Equality Act!
U.S. Congress will soon vote on Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s so-called “Equality Act.” Rather than solve a problem, H.R. 5 will open up Pandora’s Box in our country.
The Equality Act adds “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” to the list of protected classes under the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
This means that almost no area of American public life—including education, employment, public accommodations, housing, medical care, non-profits, and federal funding for example—will be left untouched.
The Equality Act:
Attacks the fundamental freedoms of speech and religion
- It could force faith-based charities, non-profits, and schools to operate contrary to their religious beliefs concerning human sexuality, or risk punishment or loss of federal funding.
- Creative professionals— especially in the wedding industry— could be compelled to communicate messages about marriage that violate their conscience or be forced out of the wedding industry altogether.
- In the language of the bill, it overrides the religious protections found in the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. This means that when alleged cases of discrimination involve religious beliefs, religious freedom loses.
- It would force faith-based foster care and adoption agencies to shut down or change their policy of only placing children with a married husband and wife.
Threatens privacy, safety, and opportunities for women and girls
- Biological men claiming to identify as women will have access to women-only intimate spaces like locker rooms, bathrooms, showers, and women’s shelters—giving easy access to sexual predators.
- Title IX, which is supposed to make sure women have the same opportunities as men, including in sports, would be gutted as men identifying as women could claim these opportunities. It is already happening around the country where boys identifying as women are displacing women in sex-specific sports in high school and college.
Undermines parental rights
- Parents could lose custody of their gender-dysphoric child if they do not support their child’s desire to take puberty blocker and cross-sex hormones.Public education would be legally required to teach and operate in line with transgender ideology, regardless of parental opposition.
Imbeds transgender ideology into federal law
- As Ryan T. Anderson points out, the Equality Act “could impose a nationwide transgender bathroom policy, a nationwide pronoun policy, and a nationwide sex-reassignment health care mandate.”
- It could force hospital facilities, medical professionals, and insurance plans to provide gender-transitioning services, or be found guilty of unlawful discrimination.
We need your help! Contact your Representative in Congress today to voice your opposition to the Equality Act, H.R. 5.
- Contact your Representative today. Ask him or her to oppose the Equality Act. Make your voice heard!
- Pray! Pray that your Representative votes against the Equality Act.