ERA advocates were marching at the Capitol today! Make your opposition heard!
Proponents argue the ERA is all about equal pay. However, the ERA is all about enshrining the right to an abortion in the U.S. Constitution because any restriction on abortion could amount to a form of illegal sex discrimination.
In addition, the ERA is unnecessary because . . .
- All the rights guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution already apply equally to men and women.
- The Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment already guarantees equal protection under the law for men and women.
- Countless federal, state, and local laws already prohibit discrimination based on sex.
- The ERA does nothing to advance equal pay. Federal and state laws already require equal pay. If the ERA is ratified, Congress could potentially pass laws requiring equal pay, but it has already done so many times:
- The Equal Pay Act, the Civil Rights Act, the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, and Arizona’s Equal Wages law all prohibit pay discrimination based on sex.
Moreover, the extended deadline to ratify the ERA expired in 1982. Ratifying the ERA will only bring costly lawsuits for an unnecessary amendment.
We need your help! Contact your lawmakers today to voice your opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment.
- Contact your state senator and representatives today. Ask them to oppose the ERA. Make your voice heard
- Pray! Pray that state legislators oppose the ratification of the ERA.