Sunday began a new year but the real fun begins Monday with the start of the 2017 Arizona legislative session. It’s a new day with new legislative leadership and new members. I look forward to furthering our work with the new legislature to ensure Arizona is the best state in which to raise a family.
I invite you to join us Monday morning, 7:00 a.m. for our annual prayer walk to kick-off the legislative session.
Arizona’s legislative priorities hinge, in part, on what happens at the federal level. The new president, committed to changing the way Washington works, is on record as being prolife. President-elect Trump has promised to appoint prolife justices to the Supreme Court and pave the way for states to fully defund Planned Parenthood.
Taxpayers should not be forced to support or subsidize abortion, especially now that both the U.S. House Select Panel on Infant Lives and the Senate Judiciary Committee are recommending a criminal investigation into the Planned Parenthood for the alleged trafficking of aborted baby body parts for profit.
CAP will continue to propose ways to protect the health and safety of mothers and their preborn babies, regardless of what happens on the federal level. And we will not waver in our commitment to defend the rights of all Arizonans to live and work according to their faith and beliefs.
School choice will likely be a key issue this session. Arizona should continue to lead the way in expanding education opportunities to all students. Parents want to decide the best way to educate their children, whether that is public school, private, charter, homeschool, or online. At CAP, we stand for the principle that all school options should be viable ones to best meet the needs of children.
You can also count on CAP to advocate against any legislation that threatens progress made in protecting life, family, and religious freedom. And we will take a hard stand in favor of preserving the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death.
Who knows what is in store over the next four months? It will be interesting to see what challenges and opportunities arise. We will watch every bill proposed and keep you posted along the way because we’ll need to work together this session, reaching out to lawmakers and getting involved when necessary.
Thanks so much for your interest in this process, your willingness to get involved, and your understanding of how vital state legislation is to the wellbeing of Arizonans and our families.
ICYMI – Latest News & Articles of Interest
- A U.S. House panel suggests Congress defund Planned Parenthood. Read the article here. Read the full report here.
- An annual report to Congress finds Planned Parenthood misusing taxpayer money and calls on Congress to defund the abortion giant. Read ADF’s press release here. Read the full report here.
- President Obama made a last ditch effort to protect Planned Parenthood. Read here what he did and how it can be undone.
- President Obama also tried to slip abortion and LGBT services into Obamacare. Read about it here.
- Marking the 44th anniversary of Roe v Wadethis month, I wrote about a changing tide in an op-ed for the Capitol Times. Read it here.