In lieu of Prayer and Praise this month leading up to the August 4 Primary Election, will you join us in praying specifically for elected officials, community leaders, organizations, and key issues each of the 31 days of July?
Thank you for your faithfulness in prayer throughout the year, and your willingness now to bring the topic of the day to the Lord in prayer as He leads. And, a special thanks to our team’s Joyce Mercado for putting this prayer guide together.
1. COVID-19, Racism, and National Unrest – Please pray for the end of COVID-19, comfort for the victims, and wisdom for leaders as they grapple with the coronavirus and civil unrest simultaneously. Pray for the healing of our nation to end racism once and for all so that all people are valued and respected. This is because every person is made in the image of God. Pray for peace, health, and a national turning to God.
John 16:33 – I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
2. Voters – Please pray voters get informed, use discernment, and take ownership in the voting process. Pray against apathy during these times of unrest and misinformation.
I John 4:1 – Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
3. Voter Registration – Please pray God will motivate Arizonans who are not registered to vote, to get registered and vote their values.
Titus 3:1-2 – Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.
4. CAP’s AZ Voter Guide/azvoterguide.com – Please pray as early voting begins July 8th, that God will use CAP’s AZ Voter Guide to help inform and educate voters on where the candidates stand on key issues. Pray for God’s provision in covering the cost of supplying the free guide to Arizona voters.
James 1:5 – If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
5. Presidential election – Pray for God’s hand in the election of the president in November. Pray the winner will support policies that honor God.
Romans 13:1-2 – Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
6. U.S. Senate elections – Please pray for those who will win their U.S. Senate races, that they be honorable, passing just laws, and approving judicial nominations according to God’s will.
Deuteronomy 1:13-15 – Choose for your tribes wise, understanding, and experienced men, and I will appoint them as your heads.’ And you answered me, ‘The thing that you have spoken is good for us to do.’ So I took the heads of your tribes, wise and experienced men, and set them as heads over you, commanders of thousands, commanders of hundreds, commanders of fifties, commanders of tens, and officers, throughout your tribes.
7. U.S. House of Representatives elections – Please pray those who will win their U.S. House of Representative races will be honorable, passing just laws according to God’s will.
Proverbs 29:2 – When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, but when the wicked rule, the people groan.
8. AZ Senate elections – Please pray for candidates running for the Arizona Senate. Pray voters will learn where the candidates stand on key issues and elect senators who will protect life, marriage and family, and religious freedom.
Psalm 146:5-10 – Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, who keeps faith forever; who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets the prisoners free; the Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin. The Lord will reign forever, your God, O Zion, to all generations. Praise the Lord!
9. AZ House elections – Please pray for the outcome of the state House of Representatives. Pray God will rise up good, strong leaders to represent Arizonans and uphold our values.
Psalm 136:1-4 – Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods, for his steadfast love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords, for his steadfast love endures forever;
10. City and County elections – Pray for those running in various city and county elections. Pray voters take the time to learn about the candidates, and choose wisely who will run their city.
Proverbs 11:9-11 – With his mouth the godless man would destroy his neighbor, but by knowledge the righteous are delivered. When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices, and when the wicked perish there are shouts of gladness. By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is overthrown.
11. School Board elections – Please pray for the candidates running in November for the many school board positions throughout the state. Pray voters will consider how these boards affect our children’s education. Pray God will fill the school boards with people who respect parental rights.
Psalm 78:4-7 – We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done. He established a testimony in Jacob and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers to teach to their children, that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments;
12. Judges up for Retention – Please pray God will guide the outcome of the November retention votes for judges in Arizona. Pray voters cast educated votes, understanding the effect good judges have on our community.
Deuteronomy 1:16-17 – And I charged your judges at that time, ‘Hear the cases between your brothers, and judge righteously between a man and his brother or the alien who is with him. You shall not be partial in judgment. You shall hear the small and the great alike. You shall not be intimidated by anyone, for the judgment is God’s.
13. All candidates’ families – Please pray for the families of all the candidates running for office. Pray for their support, their protection, and their patience as campaigns can be long and demanding.
Psalm 91-2 – He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
14. Ballot Measures – Please pray for God’s hand in the outcome of the ballot measures before Arizona voters. Pray voters will take the time to read and understand the implications of the initiatives. Please pray voters, again, reject the measure to legalize recreational marijuana.
Psalm 22:28 – For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations.
15. Election officials and election machinery – Please pray election officials serve with honesty and integrity. Also pray for reliable equipment and an accurate record of votes.
James 3:17 – But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
16. Media – Please pray for the various media outlets and personnel. Pray print, radio, TV, and social media would provide citizens with accurate and objective reporting leading up to, and on Election Day.
Philippians 4:8-9 – Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
17. Center for Arizona Policy – Please pray for CAP during this very busy season. Pray for our team, for success in our efforts to promote life, marriage and family, and religious freedom. Pray for good health and clear direction through these next few months.
Isaiah 46:9-10 – Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, “My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose”.
18. Life – Please pray God will move mightily to protect the preborn and their mothers. Pray for elected leaders who will defund Planned Parenthood, use the pro-life movement, and change hearts and minds to value and protect life from beginning to natural end.
Psalm 139:13-16 – For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
19. Parents’ Rights – Please pray elected officials on every level will preserve parental rights. Pray they honor parents’ rights to dictate the health, education, and upbringing of their children without undue interference by government.
Psalm 127:3-5 – Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
20. Restoration of the value of marriage between one man and one woman in culture – Please pray for God, who has all power, to change hearts and minds, and restore the institution of marriage to his original design.
Genesis 2:22-24 – And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
21. Educational Freedom – Please pray elected officials will support policies that expand opportunities for families to choose the best educational choice for their children.
Ecclesiastes 7:12 – For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money, and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it.
22. Religious Freedom – Please pray God will work in the three branches of government to do their part in protecting our right to live and work according to our deeply held religious beliefs.
Psalm 33:12 – Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage!
23. Center for Arizona Policy Action – Please pray for CAP’s sister organizations, Center for Arizona Policy Action, as it supports candidates and policies that will uphold Arizona’s values regarding life, marriage and family, religious freedom, educational freedom, and parental rights.
Ephesians 6:18 – Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
24. The United States – Please pray for our country. Pray God will open eyes, soften hearts, calm emotions, and bring unity to our nation. Pray God will use this unrest to bring people to Himself, and to right wrongs in our culture.
Psalm 22:28 – For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations.
25. The rule of law in America – Please pray for the restoration of regard and respect for the rule of law in America. Pray God will rise up godly leaders who will justly uphold the rule of law, and bring order to our society.
Matthew 12:25 – Knowing their thoughts, he said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand.
26. Human dignity – Please pray for a shift in the recent cultural trend of disrespect. Pray God will restore the ideal of respect and value of every human being.
Daniel 2:20-22 – Daniel answered and said: “Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might. He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; he reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him.
27. Arizona – Please pray for our state. Pray God will preserve the good and restore the bad. Pray voters elect strong, wise leaders who work for the best interest of Arizonans.
Isaiah 32:18 – My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.
28. Current federal leaders – Please pray for the three branches of federal government. Pray for God’s hand on the President of the United States and his administration. Pray for the U.S. Congress, both House and Senate, that they would pass just and righteous laws. Pray, too, for the federal judiciary, that judges would interpret laws justly and not try to make law.
I Peter 2:13-17 – Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.
29. Current Local leaders – Please pray for Arizona legislators, the Governor, Attorney General, Treasurer, Superintendent of Public schools, the AZ Supreme Court, judges, agency directors, and all of their families.
Romans 13:4 – For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer.
30. Current first responders – Please pray for the U.S. Military, the different police forces, fire departments, emergency services, and all their families. Pray for their safety and success, as well as their commitment to serving honorably.
I Timothy 2:1-4 – First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
31. Looking forward: Future Supreme Court appointments – Please pray the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court will justly interpret laws, keeping our country within the bounds of U.S. Constitution. Pray they refrain from legislating, and pray the President will choose wisely any future Supreme Court nominees. Pray any new justices will serve honorably.
Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.