- ACTION ALERT: Stand for Life - Contact the Governor!
- ACTION ALERT: Protect Life - Contact Your Senator!
- ACTION ALERT: Ask the Cottonwood City Council to say No! to Civil Unions
- Your Congressmen Need to Hear From You on ENDA!
- Action Alert: Sen. McCain & Sen. Flake Need to Hear From You!
- ACTION ALERT: It's time to vote!
- ACTION ALERT: Early Voting Begins for City Elections!
- ACTION ALERT: City Election Voter Guides are Here!
- URGENT ACTION ALERT: Pro-life Bill At Risk
- SB 1178 Is Almost There!
Despite the mountain of legal testimony highlighting the numerous constitutional, moral, and ethical problems with the law, the Council, led by Mayor Greg Stanton, forced the vote through.
Make no mistake, the actions by the Council last night severely limit the religious freedom rights of everyone in the city of Phoenix. Furthermore, as evidenced by the impact of similar legislation across the county, the Bathroom Bill has serious negative implications for the safety of women and children.
At this time, Center for Arizona Policy is assessing the impact and what next steps to take in order to protect the residents of Phoenix from this deceitfully crafted law.
Yet it is important to acknowledge those on the Council who saw through the mischaracterizations of our opponents and voted against the Bathroom Bill. In the face of overwhelming criticism from a hostile crowd, three Council members said "No" to this ill-conceived provision.
Please take a moment to thank Councilmen Sal DiCiccio and Jim Waring, and Vice Mayor Bill Gates for doing what's right and standing up against this politically motivated change to the ordinance:
UPDATE: The mayor has changed the location of the City Council's final vote tomorrow. It will now be at the Orpheum Theater, 203 W Adams Street at 2:30 p.m.
It is vital that we do not allow this type of tactic to silence our vote, and stifle our turnout at the hearing tomorrow. We need a strong showing up support to say No! to the Bathroom Bill!
There is an urgent problem in Phoenix, and Center for Arizona Policy needs your help!The City of Phoenix is considering passing a law, which would allow “transgendered” men to use the women’s restroom in public accommodations like restaurants, schools, and churches - the same restroom that your child uses.
Furthermore, if the business or church asks the man to leave, the business or church faces both civil and criminal prosecution for “discrimination”.
This is just one of the many severe problems with the Bathroom Bill. If this proposal becomes law, parents, churches, and businesses all lose:
- Parents: Along with the very serious problem mentioned above, there are no protections in this law to prohibit a predator from posing as a so-called “transgender” to gain access to a child through a restroom or locker room.
- Business Owners: Every business in or that works with the city of Phoenix would face the threat of frivilous lawsuits - regardless of their views on homosexuality and gender. The Bathroom Bill says even the implication that a business may be “unwelcoming” or “unaccepting” to a homosexual or transgender can trigger an a criminal investigation from the city, and a costly lawsuit that can drag on for years.
- Churches: Churches are not exempt from being forced to allow transgenders in whatever restroom they choose. Furthermore, the weak exemption in this law could force a church or a parachurch organization, like a Christian school to hire homosexuals and transgenders regardless of the church’s religious beliefs.
What’s worse, Mayor Greg Stanton has rushed this law through the process - the final vote is a week from today!
Yet the other councilmen need to hear from you to say No! to the Bathroom Bill.
ACTION NEEDED - 4 Steps Needed
1) Contact these members of the Phoenix City Council, asking them to vote No on this harmful ordinance:
- Thelda Williams: email@example.com, 602-262-7444
- Vice Mayor Bill Gates: firstname.lastname@example.org, 602-262-7441
- Daniel Valenzuela: email@example.com, 602-262-7446
- Michael Nowakowski: firstname.lastname@example.org, 602-262-7492
- Michael Johnson: email@example.com, 602-262-7493
You can use these resources and talking points when crafting your email or making your call:
- Bad for Business - how the Bathroom Bill will negatively impact every Phoenix Business - regardless of their views on the issue.
- Churches at Risk - The Bathroom Bill will put churches in the position of following their faith, or breaking the law.
- Churches should not be forced to hire people who disagree with their religious beliefs. Yet under this law, city government will force Phoenix’s religious institutions to either compromise their beliefs, or face criminal prosecution.
- The Bathroom Bill creates a “sue first and ask questions later” mentality.
- No matter your views on homosexuality, under the Bathroom Bill you will face the threat of frivolous lawsuits.
- It is irresponsible for the City Council to put every child, business owner, church, and religious organization at risk because of a political agenda from a vocal minority.
- Despite Mayor Stanton’s campaign commitment to transparency, the Bathroom Bill has been rushed through city government in order to hide the true atrocities buried in this law.
2) Forward this link to your friends and family. Because of how Mayor Stanton is pushing this ordinance to a vote next week, there is little time to spread the word about the dangers of the Bathroom Bill. We need your help to notify every business, church and parent.
3) Follow Center for Arizona Policy on Facebook. With the vote only a week away, things will move very quickly over the next few days. We will keep you up to date through our Facebook page on all the latest developments.
4) Pray for the defeat of this measure so that the rights of persons of faith and rigths of private business owners will be preserved in Phoenix.
Read the law here: